The SBA has changed and created a new and open level of membership. Open membership is aimed at those interested in botanical art, particularly practicing artists. However, we consider that this membership is mainly an intermediary step for members that are inspired to proceed to full Fellowship. Specifically, we hope that our former students and to those who are aspiring to be practicing botanical artists apply for this membership in order to seek the Fellowship qualification and we consider open membership a pathway to full Fellowship of the Society and encourage members to submit work to apply. The Society considers that this membership is a place of learning and for artists to develop their skills.
An applicant is required to pay a joining fee (due 1 January each year) and will become a member to enjoy the following benefits. Students qualifying via the Distance Learning Diploma Course who become Open members are entitled to use the qualification DipSBA or DipSBA(Dist) after the student’s name for those who were awarded the Society’s Diploma. Open members are bound by the Society’s Code of Conduct.
(Changes: Life Friend members will continue as before but benefit from all open membership benefits, Friends category will be replaced by open membership.)
- Use of designation SBA
- Exhibition: up to five works at a submission fee of £18 per work (all work is subject to selection)
- Commission on exhibition sales of 35% for work up to 75cm on the longest side and 40% for 75cm or more (to receive this benefit you must be an Open member within the month that precedes any of our open shows and membership cannot be back dated)
- Our Welcome magazine (printed), all about the Society featuring illustrations from our Fellow members.
- Winter magazine (printed) a celebration of our year in art and the achievements of our members
- Spring & Summer downloadable magazine featuring artwork, articles, tutorials and other items
- Regular email news
- The opportunity to attend exclusive paid study events
UK based members: £65 pa; outside the UK: £80, (higher to cover additional postage costs), you can join at any time, with renewals every 12 months from signup date.
You will need to have an active email address in your own name and to keep the membership secretary advised of any changes to this or other contact details.